
I can't believe that the first time I blog about the interns is almost a month after they've left! I promise that it's not a reflection on a lackluster performance as an intern. : ) Actually, for our first summer interns here in Morelia, they were an absolute blessing! It was so fun having them here and seeing them get involved in this church and making relationships with Mexicans. As you may or may not have noticed, I've posted links in the right column to their personal blogs. Feel free to go there and read all about their time here! Since they've blogged so wonderfully about their experiences, I think I'll just tell you a little about each of them and what I learned from them.
(I'm going in alphabetical order, guys, so don't get jealous about me mentioning one of you before the other or not starting off with you!!) : )

Alex Castro - Alex was actually here as a part of his masters degree in missions that he is getting at ACU. I'd actually met Alex last year when he lead the spring break team down here and again when he drove through with a group and worshipped with us at Iglesia al Aire Libre. He is originally from Morelia and still has family that lives here. He had a couple other options this summer and chose us above them all! (either that or they all rejected him so he came down here, I could never figure out which one) : ) Alex is a great guy who is open to being used wherever he is needed. And he makes me laugh so much! It was great to get to spend more than a couple of days together and hear the plans that the Lord has lain on his heart for children. He was an example to the youth here of using the talents the Lord has given you to glorify him.

Emily Jorgenson - Originally from ColoRADo, Emily is a photojournalism major at ACU. Even though she didn't grow up in Texas, she got there as soon as she could. Right, Emily? ; ) I'm at a loss for words on how to describe Emily. There is so much more there than meets the eye! She is definitely one of the funniest people I've ever met, even though she doesn't know why people think she is funny. She has an incredibly sweet spirit and taught me more about trusting in the Lord to guide you, even with the hard decisions.
Beth Kaszynski - Beth grew up in an Anglican church north of Dallas (interestingly enough, of our four interns, who all go to ACU, only one of them grew up in the church of Christ). She comes from a family that believes in adoption, something dear to my heart. We also both have adorable black nephews named Jeremiah. Interesting, isn't it? She is a communications major at ACU. She was the techno junkie of the group and the one who actually kept her blog updated for the most part. : ) God has placed in her a strong desire to serve others and I can't wait to see how he develops in her in the future. Of all the interns, her Spanish was the most limited, but she worked hard to understand and be understood and to show love when words weren't coming.
Marisa Muñoz - As is evident by her name, Marisa comes from a hispanic family. They immigrated from Mexico two generations ago, I think. Coming to Mexico was an eye-opening experience for Marisa, as it gave her an opportunity to learn more about her roots as a Mexican-American. Watching her go through that process was very interesting for me! Marisa is from the town of Synder and is studying to become an elementary teacher. She is going to be an amazing teacher! Marisa was definitely the dramatic one of the group and the summer would not have been the same without her. (I am NOT dramatic!) She gave her heart in an amazing way to the people here and the Lord opened her eyes to new blessings because of it.
I had so much fun getting to know these amazing people while they were here in Morelia. The Lord knew I needed each and every one of them this summer! They blessed my life immensely and made me laugh when I needed to laugh and listened to me when I needed someone to listen to me. I can't imagine my life without them and without all the great memories from this summer. Thank you, guys, for coming down and serving with us here in Morelia. You touched my life, you touched the lives of the church here, and only the Lord knows who else you touched. May the Lord reward you greatly for your desire to serve Him!
Marisa buying food from some long lost relatives : )
Hanging out with their spanish teachers downtown
Alex eating (not a rare sight this summer, I'll have you know) ; )
The girls with their Mexican sister, Montse. They lived with Montse and her family and loved being a part of the Gutiérrez family.
The interns with the young people from church after hiking around in the woods together

No comments:
Post a Comment