Saturday, August 18, 2007

The Latest News from Morelia

Well, summer is officially over! Some of the kids around here have another day and a half of freedom, but for the most part everyone in Morelia is looking towards the fall and all of the activity that is brings. Another sign of the end of summer for us was the return of the Gonzalez family on Tuesday. They made it in safe and sound, albeit a bit tired from all their time on the road. They've spent the rest of the week getting school supplies for Victoria and Sofía and trying to settle back in after almost two and a half months of traveling.
Speaking of signs, we've seen a few exciting ones around here lately that I thought I would share with all of you in the blog world. First off, many of you have heard that we're getting an Applebee's here in Morelia! It's been a very long process (they put up the first sign LAST May!), but this past week, we saw this sign:
(For those of you that don't speak Spanish, that means 'Really Soon!')
As you can tell, they are getting closer (haven't put a door on the place yet, but I expect that should come soon).

And then, this week, I saw this sign!:
That's right, my blog friends, we're getting a Chili's!! I about had a heart attack (for those who don't know me, I'm a big fan). We've been hearing rumors for quite some time now that we'd be getting a Chili's, but we thought it would be in the new mall they are building outside of town. Well, it turns out they are building one 2 minutes from my house! How cool is that? They look to be moving much faster than the Applebee's is, so it's now a race to see who opens first. Oh, we also got a Starbucks this summer, but I don't have a picture of that. It's official: Morelia is moving up in the world!!

As for the church, things are going well. We are gearing up for our church retreat, which will be the first weekend in September (7-9). Steven Wells, former missionary and teammate, is going to be our speaker this year and everyone is really excited! Please join us in praying that this will be a sweet time for everyone involved. Also, please pray for no rain that entire week!! The place that we are going has areas to play, but when it's all muddy from the rain, it's not quite as enjoyable for everyone.
Well, that's the latest from around here. Thanks for checking in! We appreciate all of you. Blessings!

5 comments:

Craig said...

I can't believe you made that a whole blog post!
... but thanks to Google Reader, I read it right away!

Ron and Marilyn said...

YEA!! You updated the blog!! Cool news on the Chili's. Wonder how Taco Bueno would go there??? HaHa! Now you have no excuse to not post pictures with your beautiful new CAMERA! So keep on!!

love you,

mom

The Cox Family said...

My brother, Brian, worked for Chilli's and Applebee's is one of their big competators so I'm not surprised that where one goes the other follows! Congrats! I'm sure you'll be enjoying that quite often! I know I would!

Mommy said...

I haven't talked to, seen you or heard from you in forever! I saw your blog linked on the Cox's blog and stumbled upon it. Looks like things are going well for you. Becky Courington (Quinn)

By the way, we just sold our house to someone who went to school with you in the Phillipines. Small world, huh?

Mommy said...

Okay, so my brain is completely fried right now and I don't know if I ever told you who bought the house. If I didn't, I'm sorry. If I did, sorry for the repeat. His name was Daniel Seale. He and his wife bought it and are expecting their first child (a boy) in December, I think. Hope you are doing well and sorry again for my pea sized brain.