I am just now getting a chance to sit at the computer long enough to do a little blogging! It has been a busy last few days. We really enjoyed our time with fellow missionaries from Central Mexico, as we gathered together for a retreat and for Thanksgiving. Several of the families have time off from school, but our girls just took the time off and we headed to the mountains near Guadalajara for a few days of R&R. We had a great time! There were over 60 people at the reatreat, which included a plethora of children (of course, we made our dutiful contribution to the number of kids), many of whom were under the age of 5. Our girls play well with just about anyone, but there is something about being with other missionary kids that they really enjoy. Victoria picked up where she left off with her friend Sarah McClue, and they were soon joined at the hip. Sofia and her brother Phillip were also fast friends. In fact, we were cabin mates with the McClue family, who work in the south part of Mexico City.
Kent and Karen Smith from Abilene, Tx were the speakers at the retreat, and shared with us about spiritual formation and spiritual care. It was really important reminders for us as missionaries to make sure that we are receiving from the true source in order to give to others. This was also a good time to put that in practice.
Thanksgiving felt a little more like a "traditional" Thanksgiving, since it was a little on the cold side, and also because we had all the trimmings for an abundant Thanksgiving meal. The team in Guadalajara, which planned the retreat (and did an amazing job at it, I might add) brought the turkey, and the rest of us brought side dishes and desserts. We had food in abundance and fellowship in abudance. To top off the meal, we heard from each mission point on what God is doing in each place, so we had plenty to be grateful for.
This year, my birthday was the day after Thanksgiving, so instead of hitting all the major Thanksgiving sales (oh yeah...there aren't any of those around here...), I had a lovely day with my family. We had lunch in the nearby town and then cake. I had mananged not to make any public announcements about my birthday, but that night around the bonfire, Sam let everyone know, which was followed by at least 5 birthday songs! They would have kept coming up with more, but the kids were dying for smores! I'm grateful for smores! As if that wasn't enough, I got to finish off my birthday with icing on the cake -- a great game of nurts! The other ladies were even kind enough to let me win.
We took a detour on the way home and went along the Chapala lake, where many retired Americans live, and picked Phyllis up. So, we are enjoying her company this week. I am having picture posting issues,so I will try again later.
Tuesday, November 28, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I'm so glad to hear you had a good time and I can't wait to see the pictures! Belated happy birthday (although I did tell you that three days early. That counts, right?) : ) Give my love to the family!
Love,
Sara
Post a Comment